Are you interested in filing for an H1-B visa in Michigan for 2015?
An H1-B visa allows U.S. employers to temporarily employ foreign workers in specialty occupations. If you plan to file for an H1-B visa, hiring an immigration attorney may be in your best interest for many reasons, including:
- US Immigration laws are some of the most complex, ever-changing laws in the government. An immigration attorney will have experience with these laws and be able to interpret them to your specific application.
- While regulations and rules apply to all applicants, the facts and circumstances are never identical. An immigration attorney can determine how the law applies to your unique situation.
- Many immigration issues involve other legal issues with which an immigration attorney should be familiar.
If you think you want to hire an immigration attorney, here are some steps to get you started:
- Consider how much you are willing to pay an immigration attorney to help with your H1-B visa, but make sure you select your attorney based on quality, not price.
- Ask if the attorney has worked with any cases similar to yours, to make sure they have experience with your specific case.
- Choose an attorney who you are comfortable with. Make sure you are comfortable talking to and disclosing information to your attorney, as they will need to properly represent you. If you are shy or embarrassed around your attorney and withhold information, it may compromise your case. It is important to be truthful and comfortable around them.
- It may be in your best interest to find an attorney who speaks your native language. This may be hard to find, but it is worth asking.
There is much more to consider, so make sure you do your research before hiring an immigration attorney! The first day that H1-B visas are accepted in 2015 is April 1. Visas are limited, so it is important to make sure your application arrives on that day so you have a greater chance for eligibility!
The time to hire an immigration attorney is now! Click here for more information and our recommendations for hiring an immigration attorney.
Meet Dorcas Adhiambo Opiyo! Originally from Kenya, Dorcas attended Eastern Michigan University, earning her Masters degree in Healthcare Administration. She chose Eastern Michigan University for the school’s international community, affordable tuition, and proximity to a relative!
Dorcas is currently working in Michigan on OPT and is seeking a H1-B visa sponsored job before her OPT expires. She would love the opportunity to stay in Michigan because she is able to find more opportunities for professional growth compared to other states. “Having studied and lived in Michigan for two years now, I have become accustomed to Michigan and feel like it is my home away from home,” says Dorcas.
Although she enjoys Michigan, Dorcas does miss her family, friends, food and weather in Kenya. It is summer year round, after all!
Dorcas faces many challenges when applying for jobs in Michigan because she is an international student. Many employers do not have the information or knowledge they need to hire international students. “Several employers I have approached are reluctant to consider hiring an international student on a student visa,” Dorcas says. She believes her education and profession are beneficial to various healthcare needs in Michigan.
Though this can be discouraging, Dorcas finds ways to enjoy her ‘home away from home,’ partaking in activities such as bowling, taking walks, cooking, reading, listening to music and hanging out with family and friends. She has also explored Michigan for school projects and group meetings, visiting Livonia, Brighton, Westland, Detroit, Dearborn, Farmington Hills, Ann Arbor, Ypsilanti, Royal Oak, and Belleville!
Dorcas is ready to brave the Michigan winter as she dives deeper into her health administration career!
If you would like to contact Dorcas about a job opportunity, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org!